Saturday 23 June 2007

Iona


Iona, originally uploaded by British Traveller.

Another day's travelling yesterday brought to the Isle of Iona. A pilgrimage hotspot, being the site where Columba brought Christianity to Scotland in the sixth century, it is still home to an active monastic community. Walking round the abbey was a special moment for me, as I'm so used to seeing them in ruins. There is a real atmosphere of prayer radiating outwards, from the cloisters to the glorious beaches and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. I have been watching your travels with great interest. Everything you see has such "history". You'll see what I mean when you come to Canada. I'm assuming this trip is just the beginning of world travel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni is jealous of you seeing the Harry Potter viaduct! I see your mams still looking for the ideal coffee shop then. Excellent adventure craig and we hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete