Sunday 20 May 2007

Birdlife


Birdlife, originally uploaded by British Traveller.

Another view of Sumburgh Head. I was confidantly promised by a lady al Jarlshof that this was where I'd see my first puffin. The Shetlands, more than anything else, are famous for their birdlife, and puffins are the pick of the lot. So off I marched. The cliffs are swarming with birds, fulmars, kittiwakes and razorbills, but no puffins. Standing next to a sign that read 'watch here for puffins didn't seem to help. In the end I was about to give up. Then I caught sight of a chubby creature on a little outcrop, whipped out the binoculars and - wow - there it was. The one and only puffin on the shelf.

4 comments:

  1. Craig

    Nice to see you got to Shetland okay and have started your journey safely

    Good luck

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pic craig you look very good in your hat lol! love Jenny x Dad says watch out for the zulu's. you have got to get yourself a football and name it for company (like Tom Hanks did in castaway) says Ange x Kayl says look out for dolphins and take some pics to show me please x We all say good luck on your journey and we hope you drop in and see us on your travels you are very welcome to stay theres enough room for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you surprised that the puffin was so small? I saw some in Iceland and was taken aback at how small they are. And they live in burrows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie - yeah they're tiny. you could just cuddle them, expect they would give you a nasty nip.

    ReplyDelete