Sunday 1 July 2007

Back in England


Back in England, originally uploaded by British Traveller.

Six weeks ago, I left the comforts of the motherland behind for the wilds of Scotland. Now the lonely traveller returns, to the city of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where I've teamed up for this weekend only with a couple of old acquaintances. Newcastle, the home of the resilient Geordies (even torrential rain couldn't stop them coming out in their droves to sample the Friday nightlife), has as its centrepiece 'The Monument', dedicated to prime minister Earl Grey. And yes, the tea is named after him too.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of old acquaintances eh! If you stayed in the Newcastle Youth Hostel did you meet the old acquaintance that I met - the ghost of a Roman soldier!!!! Didn't want to spook you before you actually got there! And, no Craig, I hadn't been drinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were no ghosts to keep me awake at night, worse than that - a stag party in my dorm from 3-7 in the morning...

    ReplyDelete